BabyChatter Baby Naming and General Baby Tips

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

PARENTING - ENTITLEMENT! I am a mother of 4. My children are ages 13, 11, 7 and 5. I have woken each day since my first was born with the intention of making their world the best it can possibly be. Making sure every detail of their lives was as perfect as I could make it. My existence had been this and only this. I just knew at that time that this was my calling; the maker of all things happy and good.

Like they say with age comes wisdom. I do jokingly say to my friends "Yep, I screwed up that one!” mostly in reference to my oldest. Don't get me wrong, my oldest is very bright, smart, beautiful young lady. However, she feels to many times that she is entitled to everything opposed to possibly earning it or not getting it at all.

I look at my other 3 children for which whom entitlement isn't a word I would use for them and I can identify what I didn't know when my oldest was little. Coping with frustration, not getting your way, doing things without reward are some of the most valuable lessons. Teaching our children this from the start will help make the years to come easier.

If in life we could get the DO OVER, this would be mine. Things were be different. I would set better boundaries, make sure the boundaries were realistic and definitely not think my child was entitled to the perfect life - There isn't such a thing! So, I would say happy parenting but it's not always happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home